Thursday, February 11, 2010

Circle of Friends Winter 2010 Trip: Day 2

I started this morning with a little training in the hotel exercise room. Nothing special, but I'm starting to feel a little sore.

5 min treadmill warmup
Pushups: 10x10
w/ Chinups: 10x10
w/ Dips: 10x10

Breakfast was at 9 am. I loaded up on the eggs, ham, and sausage. After breakfast we loaded up the bus to head to Sylvan Hills. Sylvan Hills is a tubing hill only. Since tubing is all they do they do it well. The runs were fast, smooth, and totally exhilarating. Here's a video.



Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but logic tells me that the heavier I am the faster and farther I will go. We had a group of six people link up in a straight line. Lighter people were in the front, heavies in the back. I should now say that at the bottom of the hill there is an area of wood chips and bark that goes up into a steep hill to stop your descent. The group of six proved to be too much for the mound of wood chips and the first two kids in the line went right over the back. Luckily no one was hurt or worse for wear. In any case all the kids had a blast and will be remembering Sylvan Hills for years to come.

We then came back to the hotel and the kids had some free time to play in the indoor water park. This indoor water park is actually pretty first rate. Three big slides, basketball, and an area for the younger kids. I went down the slides a few times and splashed around with some of the kids and then got out and just watched them have fun.

Tonight was taco night for dinner. After dinner we went cosmic bowling. It was out of this world. I learned tonight that I'm actually a pretty decent bowler. Two of the other counselors who I made look foolish last year were talking big game about how they were going to get me back this year. Uh uh. Not up in here. My first game was my best game with me clocking in at 179. I then went 153 and 136 winning all three games. The fourth and final game came down to the end. The two counselors, Lou and Doug, were steadily gaining ground on me through the first three games. If you added their two scores in the first game they still wouldn't have beaten me. But now they were making it interesting. I was in great danger of falling way behind around the seventh frame. I focused, controlled my breathing, and hit two strikes in the eighth and ninth frames retaking the lead. In the tenth I left two easy pins after my first roll. I then miss fired and only knocked one down. Lou then came through in the clutch and hit what he needed to hit to beat me 152 to 148. I'm not mad though. I'll let the old folks have their glory every now and then.

It is now 11:50 and the kids are eating candy and I need sleep. Guess which one is going to happen and which one isn't.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing" -George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment