Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cleans, Deep Knee Bends, and the Crabapple McNasties

Cleans: 220x1x2, 264x1, 274x1, 284x1, 294x0x3

I missed 294 three times in a row.  Urge to kill is at about a 5.5.

Squat: 365x5, 405x4, 445x3, 485x2, 505x0, 315x8, 355x8

I should be able to squat 505 any day of the week.  Urge to kill is at an 8.  Don't talk to me, don't look at me, the tears are welling but I'm going to stay in big boy mode and not let them out.

RDLs: 264x8,8,13

Hammer Hits: a bunch

Flush Out Runs: 40 yards x 8

In the iron game 10% of your training session are balls out awesome.  These are the days PRs are set, everything feels light, you're in the zone.  80% are your run-of-the-mill training sessions.  You go in, get your work done, and go home.  Nothing special.  The final 10% are so shitty you can't even express how you feel in words.  Nothing goes right or you get hurt or weights that should be easy are hard or whatever.  Today was one of those bottom 10%.  I've not had one of these in a while so I guess I'm due.  I'm going to give some explanations but the bottom line is that I just wasn't strong enough today.

The biggest reason today went to hell in a hand cart is that I've been doing more conditioning.  Going from none to some can be a big stress on the body.  It takes time for the body to adapt to the extra work load and more often than not your poundages will suffer for a bit.  They will, however, come back  I know enough to know this was going to happen.  You can't sit on two horses with one ass.  Eventually my body will adapt and the weights will come back.

Another explanation for the failure on squats is that I had been doing mostly singles in the couple of months previous to this.  The extra volume on the heavier weights fried me.  I sat well with the 505 but felt everything let go as I started to reverse the weight.  Again, this takes time to develop.  I'll get accustomed to the extra volume and grow.  Or die.  Those are really the only two options.

So what are the lessons learned?  First and foremost I need to check my ego at the door.  I need to listen to what my body is telling me.  I can't stay locked in to using weights that I have in my head prior to my training session.  I would have been much better served taking smaller jumps on my squat and keeping all the sets fast.  Second, I need to have a short memory when shit like this happens.  I need to see it for what it is, take any lessons to be learned from it, and let it go.  In the grand scheme of things me missing a few cleans and a squat attempt are going to amount to anything.  I'm in this for the long haul.  I'm going to keep the chin up and get better next time.

I did a few punk-kicks while listening to this song and I felt better.

Song of the Day:

“There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no insurmountable barrier except our own inherent weakness of purpose." -Elbert Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment