Sunday, February 27, 2011

COF Trip 2K11

I just got back from the Circle of Friend's 14th annual trip to Wausau.  In case you are unaware this is a trip for kids who have been touched by cancer at a young age.  Some are still in treatment, some are in remission, all of them get to go to Wisconsin in the winter and have some fun in the snow. 

The trip is the brain child of Jerry Wunsch who is from the Wausau area, played football at Wisconsin in college, and Tampa Bay and Seattle in the NFL.  His cousin, Missy, got diagnosed with cancer while she was pregnant with her second child.  She had to chose between receiving treatment and losing her child or keeping the baby and foregoing treatment until after the baby was born.  She chose the second and ended up passing away a short while after the baby was born.  Ever since then Jerry and all of the wonderful people who make the trip happen have been sponsoring kids to come on the trip.


Jerry as a Badger.  The man loves his crossbars.

Everyone met in Green Bay and had lunch at Kroll's.  They make little pieces of paradise known as butter burgers to everyone else.  Seriously, if you're ever in Green Bay Kroll's is the place to get some fried dead cow slapped onto a roll.  We then made our way over to Lambeau field where the kids got to run around on the field and walk around and take pictures in the locker room.  Then, in a surprise even to me we all got to get our picture taken with the Lombardi Trophy.  I was happier than a pig in poop.

Some fine looking people doing the Lambeau Leap.

They should make an Indiana Jones movie about recovering a lost/stolen Lombardi Trophy with magical powers.  But if there's aliens in it then screw it.


Thursday we went to the Granite Peak Ski Area for some downhill skiing.  It was really cute to see all the kids in their ski gear.  Many of whom had never skied before.  Everyone tried it, not everyone liked it, but at least they tried.  I stayed on the White Bunny Hill for a bit.  After a few goes and figuring out how to turn without tearing every piece of sinew in my knee I made my way to the Double White Bunny for a few runs.  Then I got brave (stupid) and went to the top of the mountain.  I didn't realize the only runs that go down from there have black shapes next to the names like Hawk's Ridge, Timber Wolf, and Ply's Surprise.  I did a lot of pizzaing and falling down those runs.  It was still really fun and hopefully I'll be a bit better next year.


You can't read the names but trust me, they're hard as hell.

Thursday night we had a bonfire at the J&K Farm which is owned/run by Jenny and Kevin Anklam.  The kids got to eat Pudgey Pies, Smore's, and hot dogs.  A massive snowball fight then ensued.  One of my young charges, Jace, had a tough time keeping the snow on the outside of his coat.  The snow melted, he got cold, hopefully lesson learned.  That's what it's all about.

Friday was tubing at Sylvan Hills.  This is usually my favorite part of the trip.  The players, counselors, and kids tie up into groups of usually 2-6 to increase weight and thus speed down the hill.  In years past sometimes the weight and the subsequent speed were a bit to much and some people went over the top of the slowdown hill and the bottom.  This year there was enough of a wood chip barrier that no one was in any danger.  In that light we had the idea to set some Circle of Friends PRs.  We managed to get 20 people linked together and go down the hill.  New Circle of Friends record.  Mark it twenty, Dude.

Friday night we disco bowled at Dale's Weston Lanes.  It's been my pleasure to beat up on some of the older counselors in bowling in trips past.  Sadly, this year my winning streak was snapped at the hands of Lou.  He bested me two games to one.  Although, his last game he bowled an all-time best 170 as Jayne on the scoreboard.  I could protest to the governing body but I think I'll let the baby have his bottle on this one.

Saturday we all went to a local snowmobile club for some snowmobiling and some awesome food.  The snowmobiles are impressive machines to say the least, but the food is phenomenal.  Chili, chicken noodle soup, all kinds of desserts, and a puppet show for the kids.  I ate myself into a sugar coma and just sat back and enjoyed the show.  But seriously, I think this trip has made me pre-diabetic.  Sugary, fatty food + me with little to no self control because I'm on vacation and there are no other options = Heart problems in the coming months.

Saturday night we had dinner, dancing, and karaoke at the Pinewood Supper Club.  Food?  Dancing?  Karaoke?  Now you're talking my language.  The roast beef was great, I cut a rug (for me anyways), and Neil Diamond made a surprise appearance.  Great end to a great trip.

In the end I am extremely grateful to all of the people who helped make this trip happen.  From the organizers, to Jerry, Bill Schroeder, and Austin King who allow me to be a part of this wonderful family, to the people of Wausau who open themselves up to us every year, to my fellow chaperons, especially the ebony to my ivory and the pepper to my salt Johnny Young, and to all the kids who show me what life and living is all about.  I've learned a lot over these past couple of days.  This includes but is not limited to the following:
  • I'm better at skiing than I thought.  Not good, but adequate.
  • Despite my best attempts to resist I love foods with sugar.
  • There are still people in this world who are nice, genuine, and selfless without asking for anything in return except for maybe a "Thank you" and a hug.
  • "Sweet Caroline" is a can't miss karaoke hit.  
  • Watching kids interact with the world shows that we lose our ability or learn to not love unconditionally as we get older.  All is not lost as there are adults who are also capable of this.
  • My worst day is better than some people's best day.  I gotta keep things in perspective.
  • Some people would kill to be able to walk up a flight of stairs or carry a suitcase or a sleeping child.  Use your physical capabilities to best of you ability.
  •  Nurses make the world go 'round.
Thank you again to all of the people who made this trip possible and who allow me to be a part of it.  You have touched my life more than you will ever know.

Song of the Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment