Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Winsday- Because We're Winners

No No No Squats: 225x1, 275x1, 315x1

No belt, no knee sleeves, no hands.  I felt like mixing it up a bit today and doing something I'd never done before.  I could be douchy and say that I got a PR, but that's like winning an election when you ran unopposed.  You win, but who gives a fuck.  Here's a vid of the 315.



Regular Squats: 315x3x3, 365x2x3, 405x1

Fat Gripz Single Arm DB Press: 80x3x3

Face Pulls: 4x20
w/
45` Back Extension: 3x12

And now a story from yesterday.  366 days ago yesterday my client, Matt Cerra, tore his ACL.  He's progressed like a champ in that time.  His all time goal has been to squat 405.  Four wheels per side.  Big goal considering he's under 200 lbs.  Anyways he and Joe Flick worked on a roof all day yesterday and then got to the gym at about 6 pm.  They warmed up the way they always do.  They are creatures of habit when it comes to training.  We all are.  Since they were kind of late I had them skip part of their extended warm-up and got them in the squat racks.  I had it in my head to progress them up and then give them each three chances to hit a top single.  Matt's first was at 365 and Joe's was at 385.  Smoke show for both of them.  Matt went to 385 and Joe went to 405.  Joe was great, Matt's was "heavy".  Now came decision time. 

"Joe let's add either a ten or a ten and a five to each side," I instructed.
"Go big or go bigger," he said.
Done.  Bar loaded.  435 awaited.

Now came Matt.
"Matt, you just spent all day on a roof.  Maybe under better conditions you could hit 405 but I don't think today is the day.  I don't want you to overtrain."
"You know, Troy, I'm all out of give-a-fuck.  And I've about had it with your pansy-assed excuses.  Put that shit on the bar."

What could I do?  I'll tell you what I did, I tucked my tail and loaded the bar to what I knew was 408.  Matt didn't really know the actual weight of the bar so he thought it was only 400.  There's nothing else to say other than Matt smoked the shit out of it.  Made it his bitch.  I couldn't have been more proud of his determination and effort and commitment in the last eight months culminating in a milestone he's had his sights on forever.

Now it was Joe's turn.  He unracked it fine.  He went down, I think he freaked a bit, cut it about two inches short and knew it.  We watched the video and it confirmed what we thought.  "Well," he said in his best Scottish accent, "I didn't get all dressed up fer nuttin'.  I'm going again."  Unracked it, bent it over, smacked the shit out of it, made it say uncle, new PR.

Great job guys.

Song of the Day:

“Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." -Henri Frederic Ameil

No comments:

Post a Comment