Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday

Today was just a light day of morning cardio.  20 minutes in intervals on the Cybex machine.  Rolled and stretched.

I went to my Grandpa's house yesterday before I drove back to Stallis.  He's been kind of sick lately, but I'm not too worried.  I'm pretty sure he is invincible.  Here is a rundown of some of the stuff he has gone through: sliced his neck open on barbed wire while sledding as a kid; lied about his age to enlist in the army because his brother was taken as a POW; been hit by a car on two separate occasions; laughs at heart attacks; chased down and beat the shit out of some kids who were beating the shit out of some other kid; got the shit beat out of him by some bouncers with black jacks at a bar in Green Bay when he was younger; produced my dad who in turn produced me.  Even after all of this he is still the nicest, kindest, gentlest man I've ever met.

I swear he is half way to being on the show Hoarders.  He doesn't have garbage or dead cats laying around, but the man has a ton of stuff.  Most of it is collectible type stuff, but a lot of it is just clutter.  He loves flea markets and thrift stores.  I remember as a kid him having multiple copies of board games, all with some parts missing.  But instead of making a whole game he would just keep all the partial games.  Same thing with decks of cards.

Anyways, he asks me if I like to read and I say, "Sure Grandpa, I like to read."  He then makes me look through all of his book shelves and take whatever books I wanted.  He probably has some of the most boring books to read on the planet.  A sample of some titles: English Town Homes, 1873-1938 (there was a lot of these); The Book of Buttons; Green Bay, An Historical Look; Roger Ebert's Big Book of the Movies; and so on.

Either way it was great to see him and the rest of my family.  I don't get back quite as much as I'd like to so i try to make the most of it when I can.

Song of the Day:

“Thank God for the iron in the blood of our fathers” -Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment