Saturday, April 3, 2010

Have You Ever Versed The Homos?

Wow did I get wrecked last night.  The Segram's Seven whiskey was going down like water.  I had a thirst and the only way to quench it was with some of the ol' fire water.  I had a great time with some awesome friends and I don't really remember a whole bunch, but who cares.  Driving home this morning Matt threw up in or around my truck on two separate occasions.  Pretty much all bile and he got it into a plastic bag so no clean-up was required.

About the title.  During my senior year of college football the whole team had to do a service project and spend an afternoon with some elementary kids in Waukesha.  Being a captain I had to give a little speech about working hard and whatnot and then answered questions that the kids had.  Most of them were like, "Is playing football hard?"
"How much do you bench?"
"Are you going to play in the NFL?"
Then this one kid who I had seen kind of laughing and giggling with his friends raised his hand. 
"Yeah buddy, what's your question," I ask.
"Have you ever versed the homos?" he says under his breath.

Before I could try to answer through my stifled laughter his teacher said something about speaking up when he talked.  It was too much to wrap my head around at the time.  Let's analyze the epic amounts of failure in that question.  First off, there is no verb.  Versus isn't a verb.  To conjugate it like it is one is an extremely low-rent thing to do.  I don't care how old you are, know what words to conjugate and which ones not to.  Second, who are these homos?  Does he even know what a homo is?  If he does know what a homo is where in his head did he imagine that a bunch of them got together to form a football team?  Third, his teacher must not have heard the question because she scolded him to speak up, not for asking such a crude and slightly derogatory question.  I wish she had heard just so I could've seen her reaction.  Fourth, later in the afternoon the kid got into trouble on the playground and had to go inside for a timeout or something.  I wasn't the least bit surprised.

I was reminded of this story this morning by Matt and proceeded to laugh for about 10 minutes straight.  From now until the day I die if I'm ever feeling blue I will think to myself, "Have you ever versed the homos?"  And I will laugh out loud.

Song of the Day:

The strongest have their moments of fatigue. -Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments:

Post a Comment