Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weekend Recap

This weekend was a very bittersweet one.  Friday I drove up to Wausau for my great aunt Arlyle's funeral.  She passed last week from cancer.  Although I saw her rather infrequently I always remember her with a smile on her face.  She and my great uncle Violis were always very welcoming and kind people.  The service was a very nice celebration of a life well lived.  She will definitely be missed.

Thursday and Saturday bookended the weekend with punk rock shows.  Thursday Lance, Eric, and I went to see NOFX.  Opening for them was Teenage Bottle Rocket.  I haven't listened to much TBR but from what I heard they are a really good band.  NOFX put on an awesome show.  They played a lot of stuff that you would find on a greatest hits album and even The Decline in its 18 minute entirety.  Right when we got there Eric went straight to the pit.  Two minutes later he comes rushing back with some kid in his arms who is bleeding profusely from the head.  Apparently the kid fell and cracked his skull and Eric helped him to the back of the venue to get medical treatment.  Eric is an all-American hero ladies and gentlemen.

Saturday I trained before I headed down to Illinois.  It was the last day of my deload week.  The only thing worth mentioning is I worked up to 275x5 on squat.  Other than that, very low key.

Saturday's concert was in Chicago at a club called the Beat Kitchen.  It's a small rock club connected to a bar.  It's also a sweet place to see a punk show.  We went to see The Cobra Skulls with The Reaganomics and Dear Landlord opening.  All three bands kicked ass.  I would highly recommend all of them, especially The Cobra Skulls.  The best part of the night was after the show when Paddy from Dillinger Four took shots with us at the bar.  We also had a few beers with the guys from The Reaganomics.  Paddy is a punk rock legend for those in the know.  Dillinger Four is based out of Minneapolis and are one of the best punk bands around today.  All of them are very nice guys.  There's a certain camaraderie in punk rock that you don't really see in other types of music.  For the most part the guys in the bands just like to party and play music while pretty much all the fans like to party and listen to music.  It's a perfect match.

Song of the Day:

“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
-Jack London

No comments:

Post a Comment