Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday

Close Stance Squat: 475x1, 500x1, 520x1

Fat Bar DL: 450x1,1,1

45` Back Extension: 3x12

Straight Bar Decline Sit Ups: 3x12

Another successful session today.  I was looking to get something in the 520-525 range on my squat.  Next week I'm going to go back to flat soled shoes and a wider stance.  I'll have to probably spend a bit of time getting getting my hips used to the ROM but it shouldn't be too bad. 

As some of you may know Jack LaLanne passed away at 96 years young.  This guy was definitely a pioneer in the strength and nutrition world.  He started the first franchise gym in America (after he sold them off they would become Bally's Total Fitness), he was a bodybuilder, and had the longest running fitness show of all time.  He kicked shit in during a time when doctors thought lifting weights would lower your sex drive and ruin your body, and give you heart attacks.

He also did some pretty crazy shit as an elderly fellow as a way to tell Father Time, "You can fuck right off."  He would swim distances of over a mile with boats loaded with people and other weights attached to him.  He was also handcuffed and shackled many times.  I once open water swam 400 yards during a "sprint" triathlon.  Even with full use of my arms and legs it still tested my desire to stay among the living.  And I was only 24.  Not some geriatric that qualifies for AARP discounts.

Oh, he also bested Arnold Schwarzenegger in a push up/pull up contest.  This was also when Arnold was 21 and LaLanne was 54.  Fifty-goddam-four!  We could all take a lesson from LaLanne: just because you are advanced in age doesn't mean you have to waste away into uselessness.  Train hard, eat right, and live while you are alive.

Song of the Day:

“I can't die, it would ruin my image.” -Jack LaLanne

No comments:

Post a Comment