Saturday, January 15, 2011

Thursday and Friday

I took Wednesday off to come home and take Saxon for a walk.  I don't really have a set training schedule right now.  I'm just lifting when I feel like it. 

Thursday

Olympic Squat: worked up to some heavy singles ending with 500.

The main difference between Olympic squats and regular squats is my footwear and my stance.  I wear Olympic shoes with a raised heel and keep my stance relatively close.  This more evenly distributes the load on my legs putting more on my quads than with regular squats.

Squat Partials: last single at 605

I've been reading some stuff on the old tyme strongmen lately.  One of the things they did to build their impressive strength was partials.  They did this not to necessarily build their muscles, but to build their tendon and ligament strength.  It's the tendons and ligaments that transfer the force from the muscles to the bones and also hold everything together.  I'm going to try them and see how it goes.

Double Overhand Grip Deadlift: not sure what my last single was.

Friday

Fat Bar Standing Press: worked up to 205 for 3 singles

My previous best on a regular bar was 205.  I'm pretty happy about this as my increased volume on pressing movements is slowly but surely moving my maxes up.  I've got goals on both standing and bench press that are well within reach.

Fat Bar Bench: 3x10, 2x8

Fat Bar Chins: 3 singles with 70 extra lbs.

Timed Keg Holds: 3 sets
w/
Standing Calf Raise: 2x10

Jake and I made one of the kegs at work heavier by adding a bunch of sand to it.  It now weighs 270.  She ain't quite a lady ('casue she ain't 280) but it's still heavy as all hell.  Holding it for time works my finger strength and my back strength since the load is out in front of me.

Eric is in town today and we are going to train our balls off in a few hours.  I think I'm going to take Saxon to the Dog Park before hand.  He's been around other dogs and has done well but I'm still a little nervous.  I'm not sure how Dog Parks are run but it should be fun to watch him run around a bit.  After training there are two rib eyes in my fridge that will be waiting for us upon our return.  Should be a great day.

Song of the Day:

"There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world: and that is an idea whose time has come." -Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment