Friday, August 9, 2013

Captain's Log: Lower Body 8.8.13


I took most of this week completely off while I was in Florida for the Circle of Friends Reunion Trip.  This was perfect timing since I was in need of a break and I've got 12 weeks to peak for my Birthday Liftaggedon.  Yesterday I just wanted to work up to a heavy single on front and back squats and dead lifts.

If you talk to any swimmer that is in-tune with their bodies during their taper before a big meet they will tell you that they usually feel worse before they feel better.  This is the ebb and flow of training and the reality of supercompensation.  This is no exception.

Ever since I started implementing deloads I've hated them.  It's more mental than anything since I worry that those missed days will be the make or break difference in my training.  But I, like anyone else, have to understand that training is a marathon, not a sprint.  Being in it for the long haul is where the real gains are made.

I also hate them because any time I try to do light workouts or very low volume like yesterday everything usually feels like a giant bag of shit.  Everything feels heavy, my motor patterns feel off, and I usually end the session feeling worse than when I came in.

But I've got a few more days of rest and a change to my programming coming up.  The combination of these two things is usually enough to spark my training back to life.  Until Monday it'll be in a semi-conscious but stable condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment