Sunday, August 18, 2013

Captain's Log: Anterior Dominant 8.17.13


Front side!  Strong side!

Actually quite the opposite.  My backside has always been stronger than my front.  I can dead lift and squat disproportionately more than I can press and front squat.  My guess is because I thoroughly enjoy those lifts more.  Presses and front squats are exercises that I don't really look forward to.  Probably why I did both of them today.  Better to get them out of the way in one shot.

Anywho, front squats didn't feel terrible.  My last set of three I stayed conservative and did 315 again.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a massive front squat.  I'm going to take a linear approach to building up my 3RM.  Next week everything will stay the same except I'll add 5-10 pounds to the last set.  I keep doing this and I'll be doing 365-385 for 3 towards the end of this cycle.  It's never that smooth but my strength on this particular exercise isn't so high that it needs complicated loading schemes.  I may do the same thing with my last single before the work sets.

Presses are a strange bird for me.  My last single at 195 was a Struggle.  That capital "S" was no typo.  It was hard.  But then my sets of 5 felt great.  165 was tough at the end but nothing like that last single.  With most of my other lifts I'm going to push the 5RM for a couple more weeks then get heavier and drop a bit of volume.

This was one of my longer "Captain's Log" posts but thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment