Monday, June 17, 2013

Jumping Back In the Blog Game

It happened again.  Miss a post here and there and all of a sudden I haven't written anything in two months.  No excuses this time.  I just got lazy.  But no more.  Let's catch up with what's been going on with nice itemized list of bullet points.


  • The Crushatorium Family has been growing steadily and has been rocking serious ass.  Here's a few stories of some client's recent success.
    • One of my clients turned 30 on Sunday.  On Saturday she came by for a workout and gave me an envelope with a card and a restaurant gift certificate.  I asked her what it was for and she responded, "Every year for my birthday I give a gift to someone who in the past year has inspired me or positively influenced my life and this year you were the winner."  That made me feel really damn good.  Hearing that is reason numero uno why I love my job.
    • Another client came to me six weeks ago needing help fitting into her bridesmaid's dress.  We went 5 days per week for about 45 minutes each time.  We did a full warm up, some kettlebell complexes, usually 1-2 heavyish lifts and then some conditioning.  I told her that her nutrition was going to be the big factor in her success and she took it on full bore.  But smooth sailing it was not.  At week 4 she got nervous and took her dress to a seamstress.  And I'll be damned but when she tried it on that thing zipped right up.  BOOM.  Now if someone were to only listen to our sessions they would say. "Wow, she really complained a lot and tried to talk herself out of things.  And you guys talk about dogs a lot."  And I would say, "Yeah, but in the end she always busted ass, did what I asked her to do and was better for it.  And you got a problem with dogs, hombre?"  So anyways, I was at the wedding that she needed to fit the dress for and her and I both got compliments for her success.  But I tell everyone the same thing.  My job is easy.  I stand there and tell you what to do.  It was always up to her whether she did it or not.  Any praise belongs to her.  But it's still nice to hear!

  • My training has been going well.  I'm not injured, I'm slowly and steadily getting stronger, and I've been staying pretty much the same body comp without really limiting myself.  My goals are still the same for the Birthday Week Liftageddon in early November.  Session 1: 200 lb over head press, 300 lb bench press, 400 lb front squat, 500 pound back squat, 600 lb dead lift.  Session 2: Martin Rooney's Mantathalon.  Session 3: Dead lift 500 lbs 29 times.  I'll detail where I'm at with these in future posts.

  • This is something that made me feel smart.  On Saturday my training session paired 225 bench presses with 405 dead lifts.  The sets went 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.  If you add up all the sets it comes out to 36 reps.  While I was resting between sets I somehow figured out the formula to quickly get the total number or reps for equations like that.  I do those types of workouts a lot with my clients so it's nice to know.  We'll go with a random number like 11.  Take 11 and multiply it by its half (11x5.5=60.5).  Then you add that half on to the end ((11x5.5)+5.5=66).  You end up with 66.  It works for all the numbers I tried so it must be true and in all honesty I wouldn't have written this post if I hadn't figured it out.  I just wanted to show the world that one can be an athlete and a mathlete.  Now if you want to know what something like 8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15 is, well you're shit out of luck unless you figure what 15 is and then subtract what 8 is.  Duh.
That's it for now.  Future posts coming with some much better material than this.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment