Sunday, November 13, 2011

Liftageddon Write Up

Liftageddon was like a cold slap in the face.  I don't really feel the need to go into too much detail on each lift but needless to say it was not my strongest day.   I've got a whole list of excuses I want to make as to why but I'll keep them to myself.

Squat warm ups went well until the last warm up set.  It was a single at 455.  For whatever reason my decent was all kinds of messed up.  I broke at the knees first instead of my hips so I had to quick shift back and waste a bunch of energy to right the ship and bring it back up.  I opened at 500 and got it but it was a grinder.  I went 515 and it wasn't even close.  I had zero pop out of the bottom, said, "nope" and let my competent spotter help me up.

Bench went much the same way.  I got my opener at 265.  Grinded out 280.  Then went for 285 and was close but needed help from Lance to finish it.

Dead lift was the lone bright spot.   My opener was 544 even though I didn't know what it was when I pulled it.  I decided to throw caution to the wind and called for 600.  This lift was probably the ugliest and slowest of my life.  I got it but probably would have been red lighted in an actual competition as I hitched the absolute shit out of the bar.  Oh well, there weren't any judges there.

In hind sight there are things that I would definitely do differently.  One would be to rest more in the couple weeks leading up a meet.  I squatted and dead lifted on Tuesday and benched on Thursday.  Not a lot of down time to recover.  There's some other stuff too.  But it's technical and boring and I don't really feel like thinking about it right now.

Next week I'll be taking things easy.  I'll be heading to Dubuque on Friday to handle a client from the gym who is doing her first meet.  Should be a great time.  After that I'll come back with a renewed sense of purpose and a hunger to smash some weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment