Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hey, How Ya Doin'?

At the same time this question is so innocuous yet so very loaded.  My usual response is, "I've got no complaints."  But on occasion the stresses of everyday life have me saying in my head, "Well, how much time do you have?"  I've come to the realization that my outward response is the truth and my inward monologue is just a bullshit attitude trying to squirm it's way through.

What do I, really, have to complain about?

I've got a roof over my head, I'm in no danger of going hungry, and my furnace is kicking ass as I type this.  I go to work everyday to a job that I love and get to help people.  I've got money in my bank account and a few extra dollars in my wallet.  I've got no major illnesses and haven't been sick in a long time.  I've never worried that tomorrow I might wake up to some crazy madman with a gun that wants to kill myself and all of my fellow villagers.  Shit, just the fact that I'm typing this means I'm doing better than half the fucking people on the planet.  Not too shabby.

So on this day here's a few of life's perks that I'm thankful for:

-Parents that knew when to be parents and when to be friends.

-All of my failures and mistakes and the ability to learn from them.

-Coffee/ caffeine.

-The fact that my dog still loves me even after I give him a bath (which he hates with the intensity of a thousand suns).

-A sister that forces me to hang out with her.

-Family members that have shown me the proper way to be a man and how to treat a woman.

-A wonderful girlfriend who does things like surprise me for my birthday, puts up with me growing a moustache during Movember and then donates to the cause.

-A work environment that values its employees being themselves even if they are jerks (me) sometimes (all the time).

And here's a few of the things that are like icing on this big ol' birthday cake called life:

-Budweiser, Jameson, and all of the other tasty, tasty alcohols
-Nitrous to get me through getting my cavities filled
-Fast cars, loose women
-Huge Beds
-Iron weights
-Books
-Democracy
-The Internet
-Loyal Dogs
-Underwear fresh out of the dryer
-Back Rubs
-Caffeine
-Rock 'N' Roll


There are countless other things that I'm thankful for.  These are but a few off the top of my head.  The point is that I've got it pretty good.  There are very few reasons why I should ever be in a bad mood and the only ones that I can think of involve death.  So on this day think about what you are thankful for and keep it with you every day going forward, not just until the end of dinner.  Speaking of which, I'm going to eat so much fucking turkey.


Song of the Day:

"Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of thanksgiving." -W.T. Purkiser

No comments:

Post a Comment