Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Monday and Wednesday

Monday:

Band Resisted Squat:
up to 405x1

Fat Bar Bench:
265x10 singles

Wednesday:

Fat Bar Overhead Press:
up to 185x1, the 135x5x5

Front Squat:
225x5x2

Pendlay Row:
154x6x3
242x3x3

I was having a discussion with a client the other day who always says that his left side- particularly in his upper body- is underdeveloped compared to the right.  I have the same thing except the two sides are switched.  I was thinking about this a few weeks ago and wondered to myself if it had anything to do with the fact that when I was a freshman in college I got a nasty stinger on my right side.  I had no idea what happened and didn't want to be a wuss and stop practicing so I just babied my right arm through the rest of practice.

If you're unaware of what a stinger is it's essentially a stretching or pinching of the bundle of nerves (brachial plexus) that supply the arm.  The initial symptoms such as stinging, pain, and weakness usually go away pretty quickly.  I'm just wondering if perhaps there is more long term damage that doesn't manifest itself until later.  I don't feel there is a huge difference in strength.  I emphasize "huge" because there is some, but this is normal in most people.  It would make sense that I had a bit of damage to the nerves that supply that side of my body and over the course of years of training I'll accumulate a bit more muscle on the non stinger side due to the fact that it's playing with a full brachial plexus.  The stinger side would then be like the kid that could have been really smart but decided to eat a bunch of paste in kindergarten and turned out average at best.  Maybe we'll never know.


No comments:

Post a Comment