Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekend Update: Mother's Day, Rumplestiltskin, and Bad, Bad Dogs


Monday
Pendlay Rows: 240 x 123123123
Bench Press: 240 x 5

Tuesday
Squat: 365 x 123123123
Snatch
Jumps
Bulgarian Split Squats

Thursday
Clean and Push Press: 200 x 123123123
Hang Cleans
Bench Press: 5x10

Friday
Dead Lift: 465x 123123123
Power Cleans

First off I want to say Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers out there.  I’ve had the good fortune to be raised by one of the best and would not be who I am today without her.  My mother has always been fiercely loyal to her children and has always done what was best for us even if it meant letting us fail.  Having to learn from mistakes is one of the best gifts a parent could give to a child.

My mom is also one of the smartest people I know and is right at home taking charge and handing out orders.  Never in a condescending or totalitarian way, she just feels her way is the right way.  And she is rarely wrong.  Anyway, Happy Mother’s Day mom!  Love you!

                           

Now on to training for the week.  My lower body lifts all felt great.  Squats and dead lifts were smooth.  Only dead lifts got a little tough at the end of the sets.

My upper body lifts are a little different and it all has to do with my right shoulder.  I’ve been trying to figure out what is going on with my right side for a while now.  I think a lot of it has to do with the forest of knots that are in my upper back, trap and shoulder.  All of those knots contribute to pulling the shoulder joint and shoulder blade a little out whack and I’m starting to feel the effects.  I found a big one on my shoulder blade on Friday that when I press on it I can feel it shoot pain into my deltoid.  I also have a rather sizable knot/trigger point in my trap.

My first reaction is to take a lacrosse ball and just dig and dig and dig.  A fight fire with fire type of rehabilitation.  This would be counterproductive though.  You have to break that tissue down in order for it to heal back up and get better.  If all you do is break it down and never give it time to heal it never will.  You’ll be spinning your wheels faster than Rumplestiltskin after that broads first born child.  Break it down, but let it build back up.
You are a bad parent if you read this shit to your kids.  Creepy as hell.
Every morning when on our walk, usually before 7 am, Saxon and I get barked at by about 6-10 different dogs.  Some are inside and some are outside.  Some are big and some are small.  All of them are annoying as shit.  If I had a dog that barked at everything that walked by I wouldn’t have a dog.  Or I’d be first in line to get it a shock collar. 

I’m of the opinion that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.  And when I hear a dog bark and then the owner yell the dog’s name I want to face-palm the world.  Yelling is only adding fuel to the fire.  Now if you yell and then follow it up with a calm-assertive bop on the nose you might get somewhere.  But only yelling is lazy.

On Thursday morning I was feeling a little down on myself.  I had misplaced my wallet the night before and was ruminating on all the hassles I was going to have to go through to get everything back.  I was tired and crabby and was not really in the mood to lift.  I did it anyway and ended up having a very solid session.  I felt a lot better at the end than I did at the beginning, and when I was done I had a message on my phone from the coach at the Schroeder Aquatic Center where I thought I had dropped my wallet.  He had everything that was in the wallet (I wasn’t carrying any cash so it was just cards) but no actual wallet.  My driver’s license, credit and debit cards, insurance cards, and even old unused gift cards were all present, but no wallet.  I didn’t really care about the wallet, I was just glad to have my stuff back and glad that I decided to nut up and lift instead of pout like a baby since everything worked itself out in the end.  That’s the power of exercise people.

Since this is Monday morning I hope everyone attacks today with everything they got and has a kick ass rest of the week.  And FYI, you don’t have to wait until next Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day or any day for that matter, to tell the great people in your life that you appreciate all they’ve done for you.  Now go do something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment