Saturday, February 25, 2012

Training Update and Random Thoughts

Monday
Fat Bar Clean and Press: 154x5
Fat Bar Clean and Push Press: 184x5, 154x5x4

Wednesday
Med Ball Throws
Jumps
Trap Bar Speed Dead Lift: 275 x 8 sets of 3
Gun Show
Complex:
RDLx6, BTN Push Pressx6, Squat Jumpx6

Friday
Squat: 405x5, 365x5, 325x5x2
RDL: 308x5x3
Prowler

There wasn’t a training update last week due to the short week and me being in Wausau, which was awesome.  The Circle of Friends Winter Trips are always a great time.  The kids have a blast and I get to see some of the friends that I’ve made over the past four years of being in the program.  This year I’m going to step up my game and do my own little fundraiser for the trips.  What I’m planning on doing is a 500 pound Dead Lift Challenge.  I’m going to give myself 30 minutes to do as many dead lifts with 500 pounds as possible.  What I’m asking you dear reader is to get on board to donate $1 per successful lift.  I’m thinking about doing it in early June.  


The Dirty Birds
Knowing myself I’m probably going to be good for about 20 reps.  So if you commit yourself to donating no more than $30 dollars then you’ll be helping out a great cause.  I’ll be posting more info once I get the details smoothed out.  If you are interested you can email me at tdequaine@hotmail.com.  DO NOT make me guilt trip the hell out of you guys.  Because I’ll do it.

Squats felt awesome today.  405 felt the lightest it has in a long time.  I really think the med ball throws, jumps, and sprints are helping my strength out of the bottom.  I think I could have probably gone 425-445 for five today.  I gave it serious consideration but decided against it.  Got to think big picture.

I heard Marshall Tucker Band’s Can’t You See the other day on the radio. 





I haven’t heard this song in a long time but has been one of my favorite songs of all time.  The melody of the electric and acoustic guitars, the bass, the percussion, piano, and even the flute, along with the soulful, heartfelt lyrics make this an awesome southern blues rock staple.  It made me very sad for the state of the music industry today.  Very few bands are actually composed of good musicians.  There aren't any songs that have true meaning to the artist.  And because songs like this are now the most popular:



Sometimes I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

Upping my calories has worked out pretty well so far.  I’m at about 195 right now with not a lot of fluff put back on.  I feel like I’ve filled out well and I think what could be considered fat is just a healthy layer of bloat.  Something that is essential to build muscle.  I hate to admit it but I think my hormone levels were a little depressed towards the end of the diet.  I've noticed I’m not as cold as I used to be, I get hungry even if I have eaten recently (metabolism is higher), and when I wake up in the morning my daily pee is a little more bent over than in the past couple weeks (fellas will know exactly what I'm talking about).  All good things.

I’m going to Texas Roadhouse tonight as part of my Valentine’s Day gift from my girlfriend, Amy.  It’s going to be tough to not look at the steak part of the menu and just say, “Yes.  I'll have that.  ALL OF IT IT!”  I loves me some steak.  And loaded sweet potatoes.  Aaaaand maybe a Shamrock Shake.

One thing I’ve been trying is having a “cheat” day on Saturday and then fasting Sunday with my first meal post cheat being my post workout meal on Monday.  I usually ate whatever I wanted and as much of it as I wanted until about 8 pm Saturday and then started the fast.  This worked ok but I felt like I didn’t have a lot of pop for the lift on Monday.  So I tried inserting a small meal with some protein and veggies right before I went to bed on Sunday night.  Last Sunday I had about 4 ounces of fish with a few cups of steamed broccoli.  No more than 250 calories but a huge difference to not eating.  This setup seemed to give me more energy for Monday’s lift without getting in the way of the benefits of the fast.

Speaking of fasting I’ve come across some interesting research on it.  I think I also saw Harper's has an article on the subject this month.  I’ll probably gather these up and put together another article on the research side of things.  There are some potentially awesome benefits to say the least.

NX Level has a few guys at the NFL Scouting Combine this weekend.  Wisconsin fullback Brady Ewing and cornerback Antonio Fenelus will be shopping their wares all over Indianapolis.  Both of them are great guys who have been busting their asses and both have legit shots at having great careers at the next level.  A couple other guys have pro days and other workout/tryouts coming up as well.  I’m wishing them all the best.

On Thursday night southern Wisconsin was supposed to get 1-3 inches of rain/snow mix and Chicago was going to get slammed.  Instead Chicago got rain and Wisconsin got 5 inches of snow.  Wish I could be extremely wrong when I give clients advice and still have a job.  Oh wait, Dr. Oz is still on TV spouting nonsense and misinformation every damn day?  Never mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment