Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm Baaaa-aaaack!!



It has been mad long since I've hit you all with some happs in my life and for that I sincerely apologize.  The biggest reason for that is that I had a routine for when I would write.  It was always in the mornings before I went to work or in the evening if I had some free time.  With my new job I start at 6 am every day so the mornings are out and I just haven't really had the motivation in the evening.

Well that shit is about to change.

I've turned a new leaf and I'm getting back on the writing wagon.  I've got a few half written articles waiting to be finished and a few ideas submitted by faithful reader Bonnie.  To kick this thing off I'll give you a few of the details of how my life has changed in the past two months.

Work

I'm now working as a personal trainer at a chain gym called Life Time Fitness.  The clubs themselves are very nice, high-end facilities.  The locker rooms are clean, the fitness floor has a ton of equipment, and the members for the most part are very nice.

The biggest change from NX Level to this job is that I now work on 100% commission.  I'm passed clients by some of the higher ups but it is still up to me to build my business and sell myself to the members.  I had minimal sales experience at NX Level because for the most part it never really felt like selling.  All I ever did was tell people what we did as a facility.  Nine times out of ten by the times I ever talked to a prospective client they had already made up their minds as to whether or not they were going to embark down a path of maximal awesomeness and train at NX.  Not so much here.  You learn real quick how fickle people can be regardless of their financial status.  I feel I can do a great job at explaining my importance, but if someone doesn't want to change they aren't going to see it.  My biggest opportunity lies in getting someone to that point of wanting to change.  Once I do that then I think I'll see a huge uptick in business.

Training

Not going to lie, I've been on cruise control for the past few months.  Haven't really been trying to hit PR or anything.  Just trying to keep the strength up.  I made the executive decision to really change gears with how I've trained the last five or six years.  I'm going to give training for size a shot.  This will require me to back off of the weights a bit and increase the volume.  I"m going to still keep some heavy lifts in, but the majority will be higher rep work.  I'm doing some research on some different modalities and I think I've got a decent handle on it.

I'll be training four days per week.  Day one is legs, day two is chest, triceps and calves, day three is back, traps and biceps, and day four will be shoulders and calves.  I'm going to wave my volume and intensity so it won't be the same thing for three months but a vast majority of my sets will be in the 6-20ish range.  I'll also have to up my calories, but I like to do that more by feel than anything else.  Like anything I'm going to give it my and all and we'll see how it goes.

Reading

I've read two things lately, Jack and Shit.  And Jack just left town.  Reading is another habit that I need to get back into.  I think once I get my business built at work I'll feel better about reading for an hour or so at lunch, but until then I'll just have to find time in the in between times.

Research

I've been reading some stuff here and there but nothing too intense.  That might be part of why I haven't written much.  I haven't found anything that really piques my interest.  I'll keep my ears to the ground but if any of you ever have anything you want researched send it my way and I'll try to get to it.

That's all I got for today.  I promise I'll have some actual content for you by the end of the week.  Huge thanks for reading.  I really do appreciate the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment