Saturday, April 28, 2012

Weekend Update, Draft Day, and Head Lice


Monday:
Pendlay Rows: 230x123123123
Bench: 245x5

Tuesday:
Squat: 325x123123123
Snatch
RDLs

Thursday:
Push Press: 180x123123123
Bench: 145x10x5

Friday:
Dead Lift: 425x123123123
Power Cleans: 210x5x3
Shrugs: 5x10

I had another really good week of training.  Nothing felt like it was way too heavy.  All in all they were four very solid 80% sessions.

I have noticed my mobility is starting to suffer.  I had some hip pain this week that is more than likely from a long series of tightnesses.  My psoas, which runs along the front of your leg and attatches to your pelvis is tight and pulls on my TFL which pulls on my glute medius which pulls on the top fan portion of my IT band which gives me discomfort.  It never ceases to amaze me how integrated the human body is.

I’ll be writing up a 10 minute mobility workout that I’m going to do every night and maybe in the morning.  It won’t be anything magical, just some rolling out and stretching.  I tried to do some self-ART on my bicep on Friday and now it’s a bit sore.   I’ve mentioned in the past that the right side of my upper body is less developed than the left.  I’m going to hypothesize that that is from my brachialis, which sits under the biceps, being either tight or stuck to humerus.  This will pull the humeral head forward in the shoulder socket causing impingement and impaired activity.  Getting this unstuck and stretched out will hopefully resolve it.  If not I’ll figure something out.

I’ve been living in darkness this past week.  I forgot my glasses at Amy’s and don’t like to put my contacts in early in the morning as they will then be dried out and useless my two in the afternoon.  I’m near-sighted so I can still type and read but it does get a little fuzzy.  Not like my dad who could probably be considered legally blind.  Without his glasses he sees colors and fuzzy shapes and that’s about it.  So I’ve got that going for me…which is nice.

I made an Amazon raid last week and have since gotten all the books in.  I think I’m going to start doing this every other month or so to force myself to read.  I ordered five books and some of them will probably be detailed in another recommended reading post.  If you are a fan of historical stuff, specifically World War II, you should check out Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  It was recommended to me by four or five different people and so for it is a fascinating read. 

My weight has been slowly moving north.  I broke 200 pounds for the first time in a few months, besides being bloated from a few weekend beers, on Friday.  I’m probably going to adjust my diet to try and hold 200 for the next few weeks.  The hard part is on weekends.  I tend to, as the French say, “Black out and eat everything within arm’s reach and drink until I pass out standing up and smack my head on the tank of a toilet.”  Those silly French have words for everything!

The topic of lice came up at the gym the other day.  A client’s daughter had it go through her fourth grade class so we started talking about it.  I said the worst part of having lice would be that forever you would be the kid that had lice in fourth grade.  At that kid’s ten year high school reunion some asshole will bring it up and it will bring back the rush of negative feelings and finger pointing and giggling girls.  Maybe it’s because I never had it but I automatically look down on people that did.  When someone tells me they had lice the picture in my head is of them being barefoot, wearing a potato sack to school and incessantly itching their head.  In other words, I see them as a hillbilly.  Man I hope I never get lice.

Hillbillies.
I had wings with my friend Joe on Wednesday at a local bar and grill and they were fantastic.  The best were the BBQ bacon. In college we used to go out for wings every week at a bar near campus and those were awesome too. Damn I love wings…while I’m eating them.  Afterwards is a different story.  So it goes with a lot of the foods I used to love.  Not eating them even on a semi-regular basis means that they mess with my insides big time.  Doughnuts and really anything with a lot of sugar is my bugaboo.  You do not want to be around me after I’ve eaten anything with a lot of sugar.  Trust me.

These need to be in my belly RIGHT NOW!
This week was draft week.  Back when the draft was on a Saturday/Sunday it was like Christmas.  Lots of day drinking, grilling, riding in shopping carts, batman costumes, karaoke and shit-talking amongst fans from opposing teams.  Draft Saturdays were by far some of the best times I had in college.  And this Saturday could be the same.  A bunch of us are going bowling, grilling, and watching the late rounds.  Boom.

Science.
On a final note I want to wish my dad a happy birthday.  If you see him give him a titty twister or a hearty slap on the back or something.  He won't read this so he'll have no idea what's going on.  Knowing him he's probably only mildly aware that it's even his birthday.  The man is a work-a-holic.  He can't live without work-a-hol.  Anyways, love you dad and happy birthday!

And with that I hope everyone has a great weekend and a better week ahead.  Catch you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment