Saturday, June 16, 2012

Weekend Update: Warrior Dash, Flippy Cup, and some Training


Tuesday
Squat: 455 x 5 singles
Bench Press: 225 x 5 singles

Friday
Hi Bar Squat: 365 x 1
Bench Press: 225 x 3 x3

Saturday
Warrior Dash

Training was pretty OK this week.  I decided to switch the squats up a bit on Tuesday and used the Buffalo bar.  It doesn’t change the actual lift too much but it is a little easier on the shoulders.  I’m going to stay somewhat conservative and not push the envelope too hard on squatting.  Just going to keep plugging away and when the numbers come they’ll come.  I’m going to try doing three week cycles that I just made up.  Week one will be working up to a daily max or, 1RM.  Week two will be working up to a 3 or 5RM.  Week three will be five singles and week one’s max.  Then wash, rinse, repeat using slightly bigger numbers the next week.

My right shoulder area (trap, shoulder, scapula, lat) is knot city, especially my trap.  The trap is the muscle that sits above your collar bone between you neck and shoulder.  When I bench my trap will pull my shoulder and upper arm into an unwanted angle and mess up the rep.  For the time being I’m going to keep my bench press weight at 225 and below and just hammer away on technique and getting my trap to relax during the lift.  Taking some time and working that stuff out will be much better than just pushing through it and possibly hurting it.  If I were to hurt my shoulder all I would hear is Mr. Mister’s Broken Wings in my head.



I ran the Warrior Dash today with my girlfriend Amy and her sister, Mandy.  I’m not much of a runner but these are definitely fun things to do. 

If you are not much of an exerciser it is a fun thing to train towards since there are a lot of obstacles that require you to have some bodyweight strength to go along with the endurance needed to finish the race.  However, if you are in the neighborhood of 150 pounds overweight then perhaps you shouldn’t do it.  We passed two women who had to be three hundred pounds being prodded along by a woman whom I’m assuming is their trainer.  They left before us and finished well after us.  My best estimate says that it took them two hours to traverse 3.1 miles and a few obstacles.  I give them credit for finishing but just because you can doesn’t mean you should.  Just sayin’.

I want to wish my Flippy Cup team (which has been renamed District 5 instead of Team MDK {Muder Death Kill} in my absence) good skill in the Third Annual Joe Jarosz Classic. 

We’ve lost in the finals to Team What the Flip? The last two years.  Both years What the Flip’s? victories came tainted with an asterisk.  Year one one of WTF’s team members got a little too drunk and was calling fouls on fill lines and anything else that crossed her fancy and many of WTF’s team members would just wander off between flips delaying the game.  Eventually Eric and I just said, “Fuck it.”  Year Two Team WTF competed with a pregnant team member who didn’t drink.  It was apparently Ok’d by the rules committee but seriously, one of the challenges of the game is flipping the cup while inebriated.  Hopefully this year tells a different story.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend.  Stay cool it’s gonna be HOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment