Saturday, March 24, 2012

Training, Injuries, and Record Setting

Monday
Fat Bar Push Press: 186x5


Wednesday
Trap Bar Dead Lift: 352x 15 singles w/ :30s rest
Gunz


Friday
Squat: 405x3, 425x3, 385x3, 340x3x3
RDLs


This was a pretty good week of training.  I was happy with the squats.  The 405 felt good and I had to decide if I wanted to call it there or bump up a bit.  I decided to bump.  The first rep of the set felt awesome.  Next two were a little slower than I would have liked.  Still, not bad after not heavy squatting for almost a month.


I cannot believe the awesome weather that Wisconsin and most of the country has been having.  70s and 80s when we are still technically in winter?  I’ll take that any day.  On a side note, why do I feel like I accomplished something whenever a record temperature happens?  I almost feel like I should high five everyone I see. 

Me: Hey did you hear about that record temp in Milwaukee?!

Random passer-by: Sure did!

*Jumping high-five a la 1980s Washington Redskins*
We also both yell, "YEAH BUDDY!" at the same time.
I talk a lot about resilience and not letting bullshit bring you down.  Recently I got to see the concept in action.  A client of mine, Joe Flick, is a firefighter in Milwaukee, plays DE for the Chicago FD football team, and plays semi-pro for one of the local teams near Milwaukee, tore his ACL in a freak play during the first CFD game two weeks ago.  He got pushed from behind, planted funny and there it went.  When he heard the news he was obviously down because he A. Loves his job and B. Just loves to play football.  Is he still down?  Has he been sulking like a baby the past two weeks?  Nope, dude has trained what’s trainable and has done a few upper body workouts and has plans to keep training until his knee gets better.  

An attitude like that makes all the difference.  You can either man up, accept the situation and do what you can to make the most of it or you sulk like a bitch, blame your shitty luck, and don’t get better.  An attitude like that is a choice.  Some have it as a natural ability and some have to make a conscious effort to do it but either way, no matter what, it’s a choice we all make.  Make the right one.

Speaking of ACL injuries, medical advancements in this area have come a LOOOOONG way from 20 years ago.  When I was four or five, my dad tore his ACL playing basketball.  After his surgery he spent a couple nights in the hospital and then was on bed rest for two weeks.  I had to stay home from kindergarten for those two weeks to get him ice packs and help out and such.  Joe will be out of the hospital the same day of his surgery and will probably be able to walk without crutches in about a week.  Crazy.

Joe’s injury, which is up there with the worst surgery needing injuries, got me thinking about the worst non-surgery needing injuries.  To me it doesn’t get much worse than straining or tearing an intercostal muscle.  Intercostals are the muscles in between your ribs that help raise your ribcage when you take a deep breath.  They are also the tasty, tasty meat that you eat when you eat ribs.  Oh so good.  
Two examples of intercostal muscles.
If you’ve never hurt an intercostal I don’t recommend it.  Every breath, every wrong movement, every time you bear any kind of weight that muscle will give you a loud and clear, “FUCK YOU, MAN!”  Sleeping is the worst because you will never get comfortable.  They usually heal in about two weeks or so, but they are a total bitch to deal with in that two weeks.  And because of their location there is really no way to help the healing process other than giving it rest.  In case you were wondering I hate intercostal strains.

Speaking of ribs I’ve got some ribs just waiting to be devoured later this afternoon.  Beef short ribs to be exact.  The last time I made them I tried grilling them and they were tough as shit.  I’m going to try the slow-cooker route and see how they turn out.  I’m so pumped.

Since it’s just Saxon and I hanging out and having a guy’s weekend I think I’ll do some spring cleaning.  Science knows my house needs it.  I hope everyone else has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment